The Grenfell Tower Inquiry earlier this month published a report by University of Maryland’s (UMD) Jose? Torero on the circumstances leading up to and surrounding the June 2017 fire at Grenfell Tower. Torero, the John. L Bryan Chair in the Department of Fire Protection Engineering and Director of the Center for Disaster Resilience in UMD’s A. James Clark School of Engineering, is one of five expert witnesses called by the Inquiry last fall.
Report findings and industry implications have been featured in international news outlets. Read and watch more English-language coverage at the links below. All expert reports are available at www.grenfelltowerinquiry.org.uk/evidence.
- Evening Standard, Inside the flat where Grenfell Tower fire started: First pictures show charred remains of flat where blaze took hold, Jun 4, 2018
- BBC News, Grenfell Inquiry raises new questions for ministers, June 4, 2018
- BBC News, Grenfell Inquiry: What five reports reveal, June 4, 2018
- BBC News, Grenfell Tower: 'Catastrophic' safety failures outlined, June 4, 2018
- Independent, Grenfell Tower inquiry: Catalogue of failures laid bare shows 'stay put' advice untenable, fire lift broken and cladding not tested for resistance to flames, June 4, 2018
- Daily Mail, Grenfell Tower was plagued by a 'culture of non-compliance' with fire safety and building regulations, report finds as expert slams 'incompetency' in the construction industry, June 4, 2018
- The Guardian, Grenfell fire took three hours to encircle the building, inquiry hears, June 4, 2018
- The Guardian, Expert lists litany of serious safety breaches at Grenfell Tower, June 4, 2018
- The Scottsman, Grenfell report finds the ‘stay put’ strategy for burning tower was futile, June 4, 2018
- Evening Express, Stay put strategy for Grenfell Tower was futile, safety expert says, June 4, 2018
- HuffPost, Every Grenfell Resident 'Should Have Been Evacuated Within 46 Minutes, June 4, 2018
- BBC News, Grenfell Inquiry: Seven things we learnt this week, June 7, 2018
- New York Magazine, A Year Has Passed Since the Grenfell Tower Fire. It Could Happen Again Anytime, June 14, 2018
The views expressed in the articles above do not necessarily reflect the views of Jose? Torero or the University of Maryland.
Members of the media are asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 7958 054267 with all questions.
FPE's BRE Experiment on the ISS Continues
Glodon Software Gift to Support Advancements in Smart Construction
UMD Launches New Labs for Infrastructure Education and Research
Director’s Message: Robust Counter UAS is Integral to Successful Airspace Integration
Pilot’s Perspective: Six Tips for Flying in All Weather Conditions
UMD Risk Expert Contributes to National Academies Report on National Drone Policy
Tapping into the Largest Transportation Big Data Archive Is Easier than Ever
State, university officials celebrate launch of newly formed, cross-discipline transportation institute
UMD Awarded $1.4 Million to Design New Treatment for PCBs, Heavy Metals in Stormwater
June 20, 2018